You might have a difficult time not using a spoon to eat this luscious orange-scented body butter- but please refrain, because it does not taste as good as it smells. The orange oil used in this recipe is known as sweet orange oil, so make sure you do no pick up the bitter orange product instead. Sweet orange oil is extracted by cold pressing orange peels rather than using steam. This essential oil is a wonderful stress reliever and can brighten up dull skin.
MAKES 2 1/2 CUPS.
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES PLUS 20 MINUTES CHILLING TIME.
COOK TIME: 2 MINUTES
1 cup coconut oil
40 drops sweet orange essential oil
3/4 cup cocoa butter
10 drops vanilla essential oil
- Set a small saucepan over low heat and add the coconut oil and cocoa butter.
- Stir until melted and well combined, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer the coconut oil mixture to a medium stainless steel bowl and stir in the orange and vanilla essential oils until well blended, about 30 seconds.
- Put the bowl in the refrigerator until the mixture is starting to solidify but is not completely solid about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Use an electric hand beater on medium speed to whip the mixture until it is very light and fluffy, about 10 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl at least once.
- Spoon the body butter into a container such as a glass jar with a lid.
- Store at room temperature for up to 2 months.
TIP: Some people are sensitive to citrus oils, so try this body butter on a small area first and wait a few hours to see if you have any reaction. Citrus oils can be phototoxic, meaning that they can produce a reaction like a sunburn when exposed to light. The amount of sweet orange oil used in this recipe is quite small, but you still should avoid very strong direct sunlight right after applying the body butter.